LucasArts game hacking

mudlord

LucasArts game hacking

Post by mudlord »

Squall, what are the problems with SW Ep1 Racer? Does it support Glide?

I know the issues with SW Rogue Squadron:

• Broken game timing
  • Crashes on ending level
  • DRM
  • Inproper game rendering

Problems 1-3 I managed to fix, and problem 4 can be fixed by nglide. However this is another odd issue. The WndProc is fucked. As in, some keys are not handled properly, which is vital for the game to even let you go past the opening menus. I am not sure how much work this will take to fix. Once thats fixed though, I bet the game will be perfect as a replacement until fast LLE rendering in N64 comes along.

mudlord

LucasArts game hacking

Post by mudlord »

Fixing on Windows 7 directly is proving very, very problematic:

• Broken installer handling.
  • Hook DLLs for forcing game into windowed mode need to be rewritten at the very least.
  • Debugger plugins for injecting code need to be updated.

Biggest issue is number 2, which makes it nigh impossible to debug, since there is no way to force it currently into windowed mode. And as a result, when you BP functions in OllyDbg, trying to shift focus between windows is completely borked because of the fullscreen RS window.

I remember, when doing this in a native install of XP, never a issue. And VMware is hopeless for this game, as it uses a unholy mix of DirectDraw and D3D.

Last edited by mudlord on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hayden

LucasArts game hacking

Post by hayden »

xing on Windows 7 directly is proving very, very problematic:

• Broken installer handling.
  • Hook DLLs for forcing game into windowed mode need to be rewritten at the very least.
  • Debugger plugins for injecting code need to be updated.